27/10/2018

Don't Call It A Comeback

23rd Sept 2018.
Eight weeks since surgery and I went out to watch the first round of the Giant Wellington PNP MTB Spring Series. Last year I did 4 of the races and had some good results.


I have been enjoying watching other people compete in various events this year. As if I needed any more motivation to get back out there. It's also good to catch up with friends and like minded people and soak up their nervousness and excitement. It was also nice to get my new bike out for a roll around the paddock. Still no real biking allowed.


So, then I got all enthused, went home and hopped on the indoor trainer. I kept an eye on my heart rate, just in case, and wiled away 25 minutes. I was tired but happy. 

I then emailed my cardiologist and surgeon to check that I was clear to start getting some fitness back. The reply, and I quote "At this point you can't wreck anything. As long as you are feeling comfortable, things should be fine". Game on.
_______
Almost 11 weeks down and I went for a flat run. 7km on the footpath and it hurt it all manner of ways. But my heart was fine. A mid week mountain bike ride was planned and I rolled around some of my beloved (except for the cows) Skyline trail. I felt good and the light at the end of the tunnel shone a little brighter.

A week or so later, it was a 9km trail run then a 35km mtb ride. Absolutely feeling better than I could have hoped for.

With this new hope came my enthusiasm to get back to competitive participation. I can't wait. I'm investigating getting a coach to make my comeback a bit more organised and efficient. In the meantime, it's more riding and running and being thankful for being where I am today.

No comments: